Wednesday 5 October 2011

Pinhole Camera

Our second induction task to the Multimedia course was using a pinhole camera. We talked about the necessary functions needed on a camera, including a shutter, a light source and a medium for the image to be transferred onto.
For this task, we used a 500ml can:



The top of the can was cut off to allow me to put the photographic paper inside the can. This was replaced with some black card and duct tape so that when I started to use the pinhole camera, no light would be able to get through the top of the can, as this would over-expose the paper to sunlight. I used a pin to pierce a small hole in the side of the can and covered this with black electrical tape, again, to stop light from getting inside the can and exposing the paper.
I had two attempts with my pinhole camera. My first attempt turned out to be over-exposed and I didn't develop the photo properly, so the image just looks like a messy grey smudge...
My second image came out slightly better though!
This is the editted image - I inverted the image and played around with the contrast until the image was clear enough to see. A 6 second exposure of the Arkwright building. The image is slightly distorted as I accidently moved the can during the exposure..but I'm quite happy with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment